Like many goods and services we use every day, the price of natural gas has increased over the past year. On average, wholesale natural gas prices were more than double what they were last year. Click here to learn more about why natural gas prices have increased.
Ohio Natural Gas is one of the region’s premier alternative natural gas suppliers. We want to make sure you are equipped with the right tools to manage your natural gas budget before colder weather hits.
We recommend that customers consider one of our fixed price plans. Ohio Natural Gas' fixed price plans come in a variety of term lengths and help protect you from further increases in natural gas prices. Click here to find the plan that best suits your needs.
Selecting the right price plan is an important part of protecting your budget this winter – but that’s not all you can do. Below are several additional tips to help reduce the impact of these rising costs.
How can I manage my natural gas costs?
- Turn your thermostat down when you’re away or asleep. You can save as much as 10% a year on energy costs by turning your thermostat back 7-10 degrees for 8 hours a day during the colder months. Many thermostats can even be programmed to automatically turn down the temperature during times you know you’ll be out of the house or asleep.
- Ensure your heating system is operating efficiently. A clean system is an efficient system. Clean or replace furnace filters once a month or as recommended. Clean warm-air registers, baseboard heaters, and radiators as needed. Make sure your heating system isn’t blocked by furniture, carpeting or drapes.
- Take a home energy assessment. A home energy assessment can help you understand the whole picture of your home’s energy use. It can also help identify and prioritize areas to improve the comfort and efficiency of your home. Visit https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/do-it-yourself-home-energy-assessments to learn how to perform a do-it-yourself assessment or contact a local professional to assist you. Visit https://www.energy.gov to learn more energy-saving tips.
- Budget Billing is another potential option to help you manage your energy bills. When you sign up for Budget Billing, you even out your monthly natural gas bills by spreading out the costs across the whole year. This means you won’t get surprised by a high bill this winter.
- Columbia Gas of Ohio customers, please visit https://www.columbiagasohio.com/bills-and-payments/billing-programs/budget-plan.
- CenterPoint Energy Ohio customers, please visit https://midwest.centerpointenergy.com/billing/budget#.
- Dominion Energy Ohio customers, please visit https://www.dominionenergy.com/ohio/billing/billing-options-and-assistance/budget-billing.
- Duke Energy Ohio customers, please visit customers, https://www.duke-energy.com/home/billing/budget-billing.
Energy Assistance Options
If you are worried about paying your bill or missing a payment due to financial hardship, there are financial assistance options available to you. Please visit https://development.ohio.gov/individual/energy-assistance for a comprehensive list of energy assistance options.